Sunday, July 15, 2007

ain't got no...

my parents once saw nina simone in new york. she apparently went on a rant during the show about "the man." my mom and dad were the only white poeple in the audience. my mom didn't find this very funny, but my dad laughs about it 40 years later. after i was born and had purchased a record player, my dad picked me up two nina simone albums. in 2002 i saw here in oakland at the paramount. it was after her stroke and a year before she died. she played the piano with one hand, could barely sing but every person there knew that it was more of a tour to say thank you rather than enjoy the music. she was born eunice kathleen waymon in tryon, north carolina in 1933. she changed here name so that her mom wouldn't know she was singing the devil's music. nina was a nickname from a boyfriend and simone was the name of a french actress she admired.

No comments: